No idea what this means

Moderator: continuum

No idea what this means

Postby Wolf68k » Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:33 am

Ok I'm back and have problems
So here's the lay out of the disk drives while in 7

And here is what it shows for VMW after I went through the Wizard to set it up

When I go to run it I get a warning about dual booting which I just skip over and then get this error and can't do anything but Abort

Now if I did the configuration steps correctly what it calls PhysicalDrive1 is what Windows has listed as Disk1.
I also tried going to the Disk Manager and setting Disk 1 to Offline and got the same error.

How I created the XP on the 1TB was to use Acronis True Image WD Edition and clone the 320GB to the 1TB. I even booted to the 1TB to make sure it was ok and would work and it did.
What did I do wrong?
Wolf68k

Re: No idea what this means

Postby ullihankeln » Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:31 pm

Hi
that is expected behaviour - read http://communities.vmware.com/thread/283469?tstart=0
ullihankeln
Site Admin

Postby Wolf68k » Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:29 am

Failed to mention this before, sorry about that.
Windows 7 Pro 64-bit

I followed the link and read topic then followed that link and read that topic. Downloaded and ran LockDismount v0.3.0.0 same problem
I had also previously while in DM right-clicked on Disk1 and selected Offline and tried again in VMW, same problem.
I read in the first topic that someone used diskpart to take the drive offline and that worked for him. I have no idea what the command is to do that but if DM is doing the same thing with what I did then it seems pointless to try to do it from the command line.

Is there perhaps something in setting this up that I did wrong? I can run through that again and list exactly what I'm doing for each step and maybe something there is a miss.
Wolf68k

Postby ullihankeln » Fri Feb 18, 2011 6:33 pm

You really should use diskpart from the commandline first of all - and then you must start the VM as admin
ullihankeln
Site Admin

Postby Wolf68k » Sat Feb 19, 2011 5:54 am

And what is the command to use for diskpart to dismount the drive in question?
Run VM as admin; ok that was something I wasn't doing and that I never saw ever mentioned. I'll try that and see what happens.
Wolf68k

Postby Wolf68k » Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:39 pm

Ok so I run VMW as admin and get the same result

For the love of god someone just tell me what I need to do from start to finish even if there are steps in the creation of the virtual machine itself that need to be done.
This is getting annoying as hell.

//edit
Ok the only extra thing I've found is to set up a Hardware Profile on the XP, which I think you mentioned in the other topic, and I did using the steps found here http://www.vmware.com/support/ws55/doc/ ... files.html at step 1(cliff notes: copy the current profile and rename it) and then followed this http://www.vmware.com/support/ws55/doc/ ... lt_ws.html
The only difference is that now it asks me to select a profile, which I do, and same result.
The only issue I have with following these steps is that it's for VMWS5.5 and I found them via Google. Started here http://www.vmware.com/support/ws55/doc/ ... steps.html read to step 14 which took me to the other 2 links (only in reverse order I posted them here).
Wolf68k

Postby ullihankeln » Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:02 am

the instructions for WS 5.5 are still valid - only difference with WS 7 hosts nowadays is the need to set the disk offline with diskpart and the need to run WS as admin.

I would also disable UAC but some folks seem to like the anoying questions and account-restrictions that UAC sets up.

If you created the second hardware profile already this are the steps required:

1. log in using an admin account
2. start a cmd via "run as admin"
3. start diskpart - select the disk - make it the active object and then set it online
4. start WS via "run as admin"
5. when XP boots - select the second hardware profile

I see that you use the physical disk as IDE - that may not work - easiest config is to use it as Buslogic disk
ullihankeln
Site Admin

Postby Wolf68k » Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:45 am

Ok I finally got it to work.
The problem I had was figuring out how to use diskpart. Giant pain in the ass, unless there are steps I'm missing to make it shorter.
First use, list disk to figure out which drive number, then select <number>, then offline disk to make the selected disk offline.
So is there a shorter way to do this or maybe even a bat file I can use that'll do this?

Something else that's new that came up this time.
If you'll notice in my previous screen shot:
Disk 0 = Win7
Disk 1 = XP on 1TB drive as you suggested to try this out on first
Disk 2 = XP on 320GB the original XP drive

When I tried your suggestions just now they were all mixed up from that listing. Now they are:
Disk 0 = XP on 320GB
Disk 1 = Win7
Disk 2 = XP on 1TB
What could have cause that?
Even more bizarre is that while back in the original XP they are in the same order as the screen shot.

I don't have any problems getting it to run with UAC turned on, it's annoying but then UAC normally annoying so that cancels that out.

So what I need is an easier way to take the drive offline. I also wouldn't mind knowing why using the Disk Management program to take it offline doesn't have the same effect that diskpart does.
Wolf68k

Postby ullihankeln » Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:35 pm

diskpart can read its commands from a textfile - but as diskpart is a dangerous command I would be very careful with using diskpart from a batch.

The different numbers are normal - most of the times the booting system regards its own disk as disk0
ullihankeln
Site Admin

Return to VMware hackers lounge